Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2016

i put air into my fists
and ask her, "how do you tell stories?"

she is not here.
my back is to the carpet, to the floor,
eyes given to ceiling, i ask 
her

cold fingertips press into the
heart of the matter 
this is not starry night, this is not quiet evening,
this is air conditioning in the Fall
spurts of my mother's snores
my back to carpet, my cold toes, fingertips

this is the day accompanying the dream,
but the dream is not beautiful, trimmed at the edges,
the dream is a dream of my own voice
telling more than asking

so i say to her,
"in repentance of our lies
in humility of our smallness
when our words, innocuous poems
fall like daggers on someone's skin,
when our products of aesthetic
are obscuring palms on our own eyes,
our stories refusals of sight,
finding out that the euphoria of
explanation 
meets distant eyes, scorned and wasted,
knowing all of this;
that is how you write stories."

she is not here,
she does not say,
my truth remains
solitary. 

No comments: